Friday, November 14, 2008

What is holding you back?

What is holding you back?

I was talking to someone today, and this question came up. My problem is that the answer to that question has so many layers. I tend to overanalyze things. The phrase "paralysis by analysis" comes to mind to a certain extent. But that doesn't completely capture it. Some of what holds me back goes back to what I shared on Sunday. I tend to see obstacles and rather than take a shot at something different, I stick with what I know -- warts and all -- because there's a certain comfort in the known.

Now if I was talking to someone else who was thinking about what was holding them back, I would be encouraging them not to let doubts about the unknown prevent them from taking a chance on something that may better suit them. So why can't I give myself the same permission? Or why won't I give myself the same permission?

What holds you back?

1 comment:

Blackhawk said...

Love this post. I would always encourage others to go for it, but would be much more cautious myself. God brought me to a place of trust prior to us moving there, though. It was a huge step of faith for us to do so. I can honestly tell you that up until that point in my life we would have only left the comfort of the known kicking and screaming. I know we didn't stay long, but I still believe that being there was what God wanted for us for that time. I think we needed to be jolted out of our comfort zone. Step out in faith. Don't be held back by your fears or insecurities. That is a daily struggle for me, and I will pray for you all that you won't be held back by your selves.