Saturday, November 20, 2010

NaBloPoMo 2010 Day 20 -- I miss the movie theater

I am a card-carrying member of the trailer-loving society. Not homes on wheels. Those two-minute movie previews that precede the feature presentation at the movie theater.

The problem is, I don't get to the movies anymore unless we're going to see the latest Pixar movie with K-Man. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing movies with him, but it would be nice to see a movie without dodging strollers and puddles of who knows what. And my love of trailers is left wanting at those movies because they only show trailers for more animated and talking animal movies.

When I was in high school, we used to see just about every movie that came out. We saw some stinkers too -- probably because the trailers always captured the best elements of the movie, and we weren't that picky. (I didn't go to high school in Greenwich Village.)

Today, I get my trailer fix online. Apple and Yahoo both have trailer sites that I visit periodically.

My love of going to the movies goes way back. I can recall being 3 or 4 and going to the Drive-In with my parents. I was supposed to be sleeping in the back seat, but I wasn't. I probably should have been because I can still see the climactic shooting scene of Walking Tall starring Joe Don Baker in my mind.

But who can afford to go to the movies these days? It's not just the price of tickets. With a kid, there's the sitter to pay for. Hard to justify spending all of that money for 2-3 hours to watch a movie when I know the same ones will be available on satellite in a few months for fractions of the cost.

So I'll stick with my online trailers and satellite movies. But I still miss the movie theater.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keegan is lucky to have you and so am I.