Friday, November 13, 2009

NaBloPoMo 2009 Day 13 -- I miss liner notes

I really enjoy listening to music. Always have. I still have some of the records I had as a kid. The Eagles (The Long Run). The Village People (Cruisin') -- the one with "YMCA" on it. KISS (Destroyer and Double Platinum). And I may have been the only 8-year-old with the triple live album by Paul McCartney and Wings (Wings Over America).

Then CDs came along when I was in high school. I adjusted to the new format.

But the great thing about records and CDs (and even cassettes) was that they came with liner notes that almost always included the words to the songs. One of the things I used to enjoy about buying a new CD was getting home, popping the CD in and reading the words as I was listening to the songs. It really helped cement the songs in my head.

But today, so much of the music I buy is downloaded. And liner-note-free. Some downloadable CDs come with a pdf of the insert, but I've never gotten iTunes to open even one of them.

At my age, I really need the words to the songs if I'm ever going to learn the songs. I could go buy the CDs the "old fashioned way" but it's so convenient to just click and have my music right there.

Anyone else identify with this at all?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He says, "...getting home, popping the CD in..." I'm here to testify that he NEVER made it home without popping one of the new CDs in the player in the car. He's obsessive about his music.

Blackhawk said...

Heehee... you are too funny, Jen. I totally miss liner notes-- I used to pore over the notes from my favorite artists-- learning the words, seeing what musicians played on the CD... definitely miss it. I download most of my music now, too.