Monday, April 16, 2007

I have become "that guy."

Well, I am now "that guy." See, I play softball in a men's league. I played a few games with this team in the fall. The spring season is now underway. For years I've played softball in various leagues. To this point, I've always played in shorts or sweat pants. But a few weeks ago, I had to slide. The problem with sliding in shorts was that it opened a nice wound on my shin and knee. I am an attorney which requires me to wear a suit to work most days. It's hard to wear a suit with an oozing knee and shin. I did the whole gauze bandage routine to protect the inside of my pants from the sticky mess on my leg. So last week, I decided to try sweat pants just in case I had to slide. Sure enough, the game required a slide. And not only were the sweat pants ineffective in protecting my knee, but the slide tore a hole clean through.

In my quest to solve this problem, I crossed a line that I thought I would never cross. Never say never. I went today to one of those sports mega stores . . . and bought a pair of baseball pants. I will now be "that guy" who plays softball in baseball pants. My prayer is that I don't resort to wearing eye black or spending $200 on some new ultra-lightweight bat that makes it easier to get around on those speedy underhand tosses from the pitcher.

So the next time you see a grown man playing slow-pitch softball in baseball pants, don't assume that he's trying to relive his glory days by playing softball. He could simply be trying to avoid ruining his suit pants.

2 comments:

carolineb said...

I love softball! Mike and I fell in love on the softball field, he was the girls coach at my church. When he picked his nose, we knew to take the pitch. I really stunk. What position do you play?

I can see a game of wiffle ball on the upper field at the church this summer.

Nice pants.

ManUtd17 said...

I play left field for this team. Our firm plays in a lawyers "non-competitive" league in the summer, and I play SS or left-center for that team. SO many stories of lawyers not acting non-competitively in that league!