Thursday, April 12, 2007

What's one more blogger?

This is my long-delayed foray into the world of blogs. I say "long-delayed" because more than a year ago, I attempted to launch a blog by this very name. I reserved the web address. I arranged an account with a service to host the site. I even spent money on fancy software to help build the site. The problem was that I knew nothing about building a site -- even with the relatively easy-to-use yet sophisticated software. I enlisted the assistance of my friend, Mike, to help me because he knew far more than I did about the software, but sometimes, even the best teacher can't get the student's light to go on.

Recently, I noticed that a couple of friends had started a site on this service, and it got me thinking: "why reinvent the wheel?" Just use the templates that are here and launch. So here I am. I apologize in advance for anything I may post on here that offends you or that you may find is a complete waste of your time. (I am confident my apology will come in handy on more than one occasion.)

There is no real purpose to this site. I won't be focused on celebrity gossip or personal finance or sports, but it is possible that certain posts will include any or all of those three topics as well as a number of others.

That latter idea is a great segue into how I chose the name for this blog.

It started with a free association -- hearkening back to my undergrad study of psychology -- about my favorite season: fall.

Fall
Autumn
September
Leaves
Deciduous
Colors
Crisp

Deciduous . . . deciduous. I like the colors of the deciduous trees in the fall. I know that a deciduous tree sheds its leaves in the fall, but what does the word "deciduous" actually mean. I looked it up in Webster's, and there were several definitions there: (1) shedding the leaves annually; (2) falling off or shed at a particular season, stage of growth, etc.; or (3) impermanent; transitory.

There it was. Impermanent or transitory. Like my thoughts. I like to just spout off on topics. Just ask my wife. Deciduous Thoughts. I've been having them my whole life. Under this framework, I can take whatever position I want on something and not apologize. I told you up front that my thoughts are transitory.

Or it could be a play on words in that while I may think that my thoughts are transitory, in reality, I am a fairly staid person who doesn't much care for change. And by placing my thoughts online, are they really impermanent? They are at least semi-permanent until the server runs out of space to hold the old thoughts.

So there you have it. I'll stay away from the obvious Paul Harvey reference.

I look forward to sharing my thoughts with you and hope to hear from you in the comments section.

1 comment:

AmyFritch said...

Welcome to the blogger world, Billy! Blog some of those funny stories about that adorable little son of yours! Tell your bride I miss her - I think I fell off the face of the earth or something. Love to y'all!