Monday, April 23, 2007

New Music Monday

One of my favorite past times is buying music. See, I can't play an instrument like my wife or any number of my friends. But I really enjoy music. You would think that might motivate me to invest some time to learn even one instrument. In college, Jen tried to teach me to play the piano. That lasted about 20 minutes. She wanted me to learn scales and "Mary Had a Little Lamb." I quickly realized she wasn't going to teach me how to play the piano part from "Layla" and that we wouldn't last as a couple more than another day and a half if we continued this excuse to hang out on the couch in the lobby of her dorm.

OK, back to the music I bought. It was a big night for us. My parents took Keegan for the day (which ended up as an overnight trip for him). This created the perfect opportunity for us to see a movie . . . at the theatre! This has become the rarest of things anymore. We ended up seeing Blades of Glory. Which was freakin' hilarious. "We love you Denver . . . the city by the bay!!" After the movie, we stopped by Borders where Jen usually looks at books (what a waste!), and I always look for music.

Providentially, we had just received our federal tax refund. I figured it must be a sign from God (you know, a Blues Brothers kind of sign) that I was meant to purchase music on this night. So I set out in search of some new music and some music that was not necessarily new but that I had been wanting to pick up for some time.

Here's what I found:

1) Guster -- Ganging Up on the Sun
I have a song, Satellite, from this CD on the playlist that plays on this site.

2) Brandi Carlile -- The Story
You may have heard one or two songs from this CD on Grey's Anatomy. She has a great voice.

3) James Morrison -- Undiscovered
I've been listening to a couple of songs from this English singer-songwriter for about six months on Virgin Radio, a London radio station that I listen to at work sometimes. Willoughby has been touting Morrison for months, and he is excited that he's part of the opening act for John Mayer in August at Philips because he bought some tix to the show. Mind you, I was the one who told him about the show, but he didn't ask me if I wanted to go. No, he invited Nan instead. Whatever.

4) Mindy Smith -- One Moment More
Mindy has an incredible voice. I've always liked Ginny Owens' voice, but I think Mindy's voice is better. The first song on this CD is one of those songs you hear and think, I've heard this song before. It just sounds so familiar. But it's not a remake. It's a song Mindy wrote. It's called "Come to Jesus." I've heard it for more than a year on Organic X on 99X on Sunday mornings. It's an incredible message. I think what is familiar about it is the truth that she's singing. I've added it to the "Smile" playlist for the website too. I hope you get to hear it.

5) BONUS MUSIC -- occasionally, Borders offers these free CD samplers. I think it's a response to the free tunes that iTunes offers each week. I picked up one for James Morrison that had 2 live acoustic versions of his 2 most popular songs. But I also picked up one from Jon McLaughlin who is with Island Records (home of U2). The 2 full songs on the sampler are piano driven songs. They are somewhat Gavin DeGraw-ish, but it was better than a lot of the free tunes that Apple gives away.

There were so many more CDs that I had to leave at Borders. It was sad really. I guess it's like visiting the animal shelter. You can't bring all the animals home even if you might want to. Jen has to lay down the law though or I'll be bringing home every stray CD I find!

5 comments:

Bekah said...

So uh, when are we gonna hang out? I am glad to find another guy with a blog, I was overwhelmed with all the ladies out there. I have pretty much hijacked Bekahs blog, and am starting to post some things. Come on by, and yes, I expect to hear some Gator smack talking, but you deserve to, for this year anyway.

ManUtd17 said...

The ladies do seem to have the market cornered on these things. I will do what I can to balance things out a bit. And don't worry, there will be some Gator smack talk on my page and yours.

brad said...

Brandi opened for Train at Chastain last year and she was AMAZING. I have really high hopes for her new record.

ManUtd17 said...

I haven't had the chance to really pour over the new CDs like I want to. But vacation is a couple of weeks away. Maybe I can steal away for some loner iPod time. You can't really appreciate the music unless you have some headphones on.

Bekah said...

I think you may be holding your tounge this year on the gator smack talk. For football anyway. I guess we will have to see how good this Tebow really is. I am confident that the Dawgs will break the Gator winning streak for the coctail party. So Pinto, you coming to the Sexton show with us? It will be time well spent, you music lover you.