Friday, November 16, 2007

The Dangerous Book for Boys

On the way home from work tonight, I stopped by Costco for a few things. I picked up some cashews, some adult beverages, gum, Skinny Cows, and stamps. After making my way through the CDs -- because I cannot ever pass up the chance to peruse the music -- I noticed a hard-bound book with a bright red cover. The title jumped out at me: The Dangerous Book for Boys.

Intriguing. So I opened it and started rifling through the pages.

Wow. Here is just a sampling of the topics covered:

-- The Five Knots Every Boys Should Know (with complete illustrations)

-- Making a Battery

-- Timers and Tripwires (I must admit, this one made me wonder if this was a manual for Berkeley mathematics professors, but there are no sections on building log cabins -- just a tree house.)

-- Famous Battles

-- Understanding Grammar -- Part One

-- The Rules of Rugby Union and Rugby League

-- Insects and Spiders (with color photos)

-- Why Is the Sky Blue? (Every parent should know this because the question is inevitable!)

-- Navajo Code Talkers' Dictionary


-- The Ten Commandments


-- First Aid


-- Sampling Shakespeare


-- Seven Poems Every Boy Should Know (including If by Rudyard Kipling and The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost)


-- The Solar System

-- The Rules of Soccer (The clincher that this was a book that I had to purchase!)

I cannot wait to go through this book with Keegan. Some of these things we'll learn together. I imagine some of these things he may teach me. I hope by the end of it, the pages will be worn from all our visits to its contents. Because that will be a tangible reminder of time well spent. Time to share discoveries. Maybe time shared at the E.R. Who knows? But it'll be hellacious fun!

1 comment:

carolineb said...

Cool book! I love the thought of it.