Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Police

As I type, The Police are performing at Philips Arena in the first of two shows this weekend. When I recall my high school years, the soundtrack playing in the background is The Police and Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles. When I was a freshman in high school, The Police were on their Synchronicity tour. I missed that show when it came to the Omni in Atlanta. Didn't go to my first concert until the following year when I saw Sammy Hagar's I Can't Drive 55 tour. (And yes, that was before Hagar became the lead singer of Van Halen. I'm that old.) Krokus opened for Hagar on his stop in Atlanta.

Anyway, since 1986 when it became official that the members of The Police were going their separate ways, I have been waiting for them to decide the time was right to put their differences behind them and cash in on the musical ATM that is a "reunion tour." Alas, they have hijacked that armored car and are raking it in. They charged $100 just to join their fan club and get the privilege of pre-ordering concert tickets. How magnanimous. When the time came for this tour, Atlanta was not originally on the schedule. After the band saw there was an audience for this tour and that they would pay out the wazoo for a seat, they decided to expand the tour and a show was added for Atlanta. When that show sold out in a matter of hours, they added a second show for the next day. As long as people keep buying tickets, why not add as many shows as possible, right?

And yet, even with the option of 2 shows in my back yard, I didn't buy tickets.

I've seen Sting perform live. I've watched DVDs of old Police shows when they were in their prime. I've even seen some footage of the group performing on this tour. In the end, I just didn't have the desire to fork over my cash to see a group that couldn't live up to the image that's been in my head for over 20 years. The group will always be at their peak . . . in my head. It's like images of Jordan as a Chicago Bull. If I never watched him play for the Washington Wizards, then in my memories, he'll always be the guy that one 6 titles for the Bulls. The guy that was at the top of his profession.

I won't begrudge them one last money-grab. They have bills to pay too. I know Sting has a huge estate in the U.K. that he has to maintain. (I know this because he lives near a British military base and complains all the time about the RAF's planes taking off and landing over his property. Sorry Gordon, but you knew the base was there when you bought your land. Deal with it.)

So I'll stick with my collection of The Police music and the great memories I have from high school with all of my friends. And read the review in the AJC tomorrow.

9 comments:

brad said...

I was excited to hear they were reuniting, then all of a sudden I found out I could care less. I don't know why the sudden change, but it happened. Weird.

carolineb said...

I wonder if reunion tours ever "live up". You know, to expectations. It's hard to outperform memories in a boy's heart.

seantk said...

I remember making a list of bands I really wanted to see if they ever got together again for a reunion. It was something like this:

- The Smiths
- The Police
- The Pixies

I think there was more, but that's if for now. Out of those 3, 2 of them have reunited and toured. You know what? I haven't even tried to get tickets to either one. Besides the fact that I'd have to take out a 2nd morgage to do it, I just don't have the excitement I thought I would about it.

seantk said...

I have one last thing to say: just saw a magazine ad for the 20th Anniversary edition of U2's "Joshua Tree" for sale. This has just shot to the top of my Christmas list.

ManUtd17 said...

I understand that the new edition of Joshua Tree has 3 discs. One is a remaster of the original. One is a bunch of b-sides, and one is a concert DVD from a show on the JT tour. I do not believe it is the Atlanta date that I saw in the Omni.

Anonymous said...

Ah, The Joshua Tree, I remember standing on my chair of the very last row of the lower level of the Omni, mullet-in-tow. That was 20 years ago!

I was lucky enough to see the Police reunite at the Amnesty International concert in 1986, along with Peter Gabriel, U2, Bryan (think about me when he plays "Heaven") Adams, Lou Reed, and most importantly Joan Baez (I have no recollection of the Neville Brothers). What a concert. I appreciated the concert then, but looking at the names above I feel like I should have paid more attention.

By the way, my shuffle just played King of Pain and U2's Promenade.. Coca-Cola, Football, Radio, Radio, Radio....

Anonymous said...

By the way, I think he means the original football, not the 12 inch variety.

Anita said...

Well I went to the concert Saturday night and it was amazing!! I started listening to the Police because my big brother liked them so much and thank you for introducing me to them. This concert is definitely in my top 3 all time!!!!

steve and randel hambrick said...

oh the police-- never a fan of synchronicity, but LOVED outlandos d'amour..."roxanne, you dont have to put on the red light".....