Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Outrage

What outrages you? I don't get outraged by much. And I'm not sure why that is. (And I'm not talking about pet peeves here. I have plenty of pet peeves.)


There are a couple of things that outrage me though:


1) When church-folk mistreat non-church-folk; and


2) When church-folk mistreat church-folk.


Now you might wonder how church-folk could mistreat other church-folk? It's easy really. When Christians judge other Christians for their human frailties, I get outraged. When Christians sit idly by while others struggle with life, I get outraged. This notion that Christians are, or should be, immune to the downside of life is plain stupid. Whoever started that idea is a liar. It's bad enough when these attitudes color relationships inside the church. It's worse when Christians allow it to get in the way of reaching out to those outside the church. There are so many who crave a relationship like the one Christians know. But when we treat each other so poorly, who could blame those on the outside from walking the other way? Not me.

And don't think that my outrage is pointed in one direction. The mirror holds some outrage too. I get "too busy" to lend a hand. I get tired and don't want to help out. I am selfish. I am lazy. I'd prefer to watch the game or my favorite show on TV. And that's outrageous.

4 comments:

carolineb said...

I've got that mirror outrage thing out the wazoo.

DA said...

I am glad that ManU is posting quite frequently. His latest post caused a prick of conscience--even for me.

It's getting cold up here. I expect snow in no time.

Nebraska Dan

Bekah said...

Yeah bro, this one is a tough one. Sometimes I wonder how we are gonna get from where we are now in the church, to without spot or blemish for when the Lord returns. Crazy.

brad said...

I am outraged by the prosperity gospel and the fact that the wife of one of the televangelists spent $20,000 plus on a freaking toilet.

She is making things harder on the rest of us.