Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Journey

No, this post isn't an homage to the great '70s/'80s band that inspired a great arcade game that I used to play at Six Flags in the summers of my youth.

What I was thinking about is the infinitive "to journey." What does that mean? What draws me to it? What keeps me from it?

To journey:

to go to class

to skip class

to pull an all-nighter

to ask for an extension
to work fast food

to quit the best job you ever had

to take a road-trip

to knock on your neighbor's door

to total your first car

to make your first rent payment

to burn your mortgage

to buy a new suit

to donate a crate full of clothes

to bail out a friend

to reach out for help

to watch A Clockwork Orange

to read Where the Wild Things Are

to refuse an aspirin

to fill a prescription for Prozac
to turn your back on the ones who love you
to say something you can't take back

to laugh
to cry
to cheer
to sigh
to sob
to work
to forgive
to play
to cling tightly
to let go
to pop a zit
to color your hair
to be resented
to shave your head bald
to make mistakes
to triumph
to beg for relief
to crash and burn
to marry off your daughter
to bury your father
to pray
to sing
to talk
to console
to yell
to horde
to shun
to share
to freeze
to take a leap of faith
to journey.

5 comments:

Bekah said...

Im with you in all that except for the Clockwork Orange thing. Horrible movie. No one should watch that.

JM

carolineb said...

Well written, BlogMaster.

ManUtd17 said...

JM -- Kubrick had some twisted perspectives on things. Intense movie. It speaks to something though, so I can appreciate it.

cbed -- Thanks.

carolineb said...

Maybe it speaks to the same thing as Lord of the Flies. The total anarchy of violence and evil in unredeemed man who is made in the image of God and is loved just as he is and even sacrificed for by God Himself. Weird, I wouldn't have set it up that way. I wouldn't have even thought of it.

seantk said...

Oh, JM..... Clockwork Orange is brilliant. It perfectly spells out (although it's intense, violent, and revolting at times) the reason we have free will. We can't be forced to "be good." For more, I've written a post about it on my blog awhile back.

I think the movie is great and I count it as a favorite.

We wouldn't be friends on the Flixster compatibility test.